Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The One With the Chickens

This is not The One With the Chick and the Duck. Just two friendly chickens and the cutest coop ever! Introducing Paprika and Ginger:


This is their home:


The Larsons helped deliver the coop and then Seth put the thing back together in the dark. Here is the first look at the coop in it's new backyard. Isn't it adorable? It was made by Heath DeWallace.
I am surrounded by amazing people!

I can't believe it, it's been about a month ago now, but I got a text message from Lacey (who lived in the next neighborhood up from us) asking if we wanted their chickens and coop because they were moving away. The same chickens and coop that used to belong to the Ortechos before they moved away. It only took me a nanosecond to say YES! and then wonder why the hell I do this to myself. You see, I was leaving to go to Washington for Sarah and Benjamin's wedding. And wouldn't be back for four days, just in time to do a little packing before working all day and moving into the new house the next. Becoming a chicken farmer really wasn't in the schedule. But there was no way I was turning this down! I had two days to prepare the jungle back corner where we would put the coop, which basically consisted of a quick effort of leveling out the ground.

But I have chickens! And, boy, do we have eggs! They seem to be very happy, well-adjusted chickens. I thought they'd probably have their feathers ruffled (ba-dum-ching!) and not lay any eggs for awhile because of the move, but these chickens are very easy going. In fact, the very first morning I went out to collect a beautiful, perfect, brown egg. I love my little ladies!

3 comments:

  1. This is the coolest chicken coop I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they look so happy! What happened to Cocoa - is she still around? So glad my chickens found a loving home! We built yet another coop here in Fayetteville, got 2 chickens giving us eggs right now but hoping to get 4 more this spring. Yay for chickens! Best. Pets. Ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i believe cocoa went to heaven before the ladies moved to the yellow house. (sorry!) i'd love to get more chickens this year... two eggs a day don't seem to be enough. these girls are so dang cute - i can hardly stand it! i love them with an everlasting love.

    ReplyDelete