Thursday, May 13, 2010

The One Where I Freak Out

All summer on my way to and from the neighborhood taco shop I passed by this one green house. I love the color green they painted this house. The only flaw was that the trim needed to black. Black would have made the house really pop! So when I bought a house I just figured I'd paint it this green with black trim. Only, my little Cape Cod house just didn't really seem like the green and black type. Then one day, coming home from The ReBuilding Center, I found this yellow house that stopped me in my tracks. At the time, I couldn't find my camera, and now I can't even remember which street the house lived. All I know is that it was kind of a brown mustard, if you will, and it was stunning. So I found a paint swatch that I thought was close and gave the code to the painter. Apparently he had to go to several stores to get enough paint for them to mix because this particular color of yellow needs a special base paint, and apparently they only sell this base paint in small quantities because it's only used as a trim color. Perfect! I totally picked a horrible color to paint my house. WHY DO THEY MAKE PAINT SWATCHES TWO INCHES BY AN INCH AND EXPECT YOU TO ENVISION A WHOLE BUILDING IN THAT COLOR? Anyway, with April being the wettest month recorded in Portland's history, they haven't painted the house yet. And tonight I sat at the food carts on Mississippi with friends and looked at the awful yellow building across the street. I'm terrified that the yellow I picked will look like the awful yellow on this building. And I just have to wait and wait and wait to see how it turns out. This is my first time picking an exterior color... I'm scared and I want a do-over!

No comments:

Post a Comment