Friday, May 21, 2010

The One With Aleksandr

The new routine when I walk home from the train after work is to stop by the house and see any new progress. Tonight, Alex, my general contractor, was there and he told me all about his extended family and about the rice he is in charge of cooking tomorrow for his mother-in-law's birthday. Alex is good people and I'm glad he's working on my project! He has a great heart and it's fun to decipher his Ukrainian accent. He has six (!) children and I've met the four youngest, all boys (!), during the bidding phase. Slavic comes with him most often and I try to bribe him with homemade cookies so he'll like me but he's super shy. He's helped me measure refrigerators and stomp on the floors upstairs so I can hear how much noise they make, so I think he likes me a little. Alex says at the end of the project he will bring his family and his big wok to the house and we will eat rice together. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment