Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The One Without Carpet

The very first time I saw the house it had this carpet:

Jim ripped out all of the carpet in the house
to reveal these lovely wood floors:

And now they are being sanded and will look beautiful soon:

Funny story about the guy who is refinishing the wood floors, Little Eugene who works with Alex. I guess he's called that because the plumber's name is also Eugene and he's super tall, because Little Eugene is not a little dude. Anyway, Little Eugene was at the house during the framing stage and he was there when the windows were installed and now he's my floor finisher. He's always super hard at work and I've never so much as heard him say a single word, so I assume he doesn't speak very much English since most of these guys are from the Ukraine and their English is a bit spotty. One night after work I went home to drop off my stuff and I went through the back fence, as usual, which puts you behind the garage of the new place. I get about three steps in and realize there is a construction worker peeing right there behind my garage! So I turned around startled and said I was sorry and Little Eugene says to me in perfectly clear English, "I'm sorry for watering your garage." So I replied, "No, I'm sorry for not having a bathroom for you to use." All while he's still peeing. And we're dialoging about the peeing. Needless to say, he doesn't even make eye contact now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katie, the stories you have about your house before you even live in it! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete